Quyen in Joburg

Friday, July 21, 2006

My First...





RUGBY GAME! What fun! We had special box seats at the University of Pretoria stadium, with a full bar and apps. I had a "boerrewurst" (sp?) which was basically a beef hotdog. Yum? I never knew how physical rugby could be until I saw it with my own eyes. The Sharks played the Bulls--Sharks won :( Apparently I was supposed to root for the Bulls because they represent the Johannesburg / Pretoria province, but boy oh boy it seemed like one long bar fight, with hot, sweaty dudes climbing all over each other. A dream come true...really, though, it was intense. During warmups I thought I was seeing a men's cheerleading competition--when they throw in the ball from the sideline, both teams LIFT other members a man high to retrieve the ball (as seen in the picture.) It seems like a ruleless game at first, but then you realize...it really is. I don't recall any fouls being called, just a lot of man on man action. On the way there I saw my first African sunset, so I quickly grabbed a shot from the moving car. I've never seen such an intense sun--this pic does no justice whatsoever, but you can really feel your retinas burning. Hot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home