Quyen in Joburg

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Security, Scones and Rooibos





I just made scones with chopped dry figs and orange zest with a cup of rooibos.

I'm staying in a suburb called Benoni, where it's uncommon if you DON'T have an electric fence surrounding your property. I suggested going for a walk to the local Lemongrass Restaurant, but was advised against it, even though it's only a half mile down the neighborhood street. The other night as we were driving back through the city from Melville, Bryce and I never stopped at a red light (we would slow down, look both ways, and run it), for fear of being hijacked. I don't know if we were being paranoid or not, but better safe than sorry, and I did see other cars doing the same. Bryce himself is a Cape Town boy, so we both just do as we're told. Here's a pic of the video camera and electric fence right out the front. I have a yearning to stretch my legs, but I also want to be safe.

Traffic lights are called ROBOTS.

The accent here in Benoni is similar to a California valley accent, with "baby" and "darling" used frequently.

It is SO DRY here. I can scratch my name onto my arm. I've been liberally applying the shea butter I purchased yesterday from my favorite store Woolworth's, although CLICKS drug store is pretty cool because they have a UNICORN as a logo!!!!

Oh, and I've been counting the number of Asians spotted since my arrival. So far, excluding China Town (more like China CORNER), the total is eight. We saw three Asian girls crossing the street at the light the other day! Score! I asked, "Do you think they're from here?" to which Thabo responded, "No, because they're out walking." Aiyah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home