Quyen in Joburg

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Back to the States







Sadly, the sun has set on my African adventure...However, I got to fly home in style. After standing in line at the airport for over an hour due to a power outage, I was rewarded with an upgrade to business class. I didn't realize I was in business class, though, until I went to the lavatory and saw the rest of the plane. I was wondering why there was so much leg room and wine? I even got ice cream! Yum. Plus, the cute young (married) professor sitting next to me (there were only 2 of us per row) and I kept ordering red wine, so the time passed quickly. A sweet end to an amazing journey.

Although I am no longer in Joburg, I may continue to post some other pics and events, as there is still much to tell about this amazing country. In the meantime, here are some pics--vultures, the baboon that climbed on our car in Kruger, a sunset on the N12 back from Kruger, a sunset on 3rd Beach in Cape Town where several young men were playing rugby. Also, here is a field on fire en route to Kruger. As I mentioned in one of the first blogs, fields are burned to prevent the spread of further fire, although sometimes it doesn't appear too controlled. Also, the fire helps facilitate new growth. It only struck me how long I had been in Joburg when we passed a bright green field. I turned to Thabo and asked, "Wait a minute, wasn't that field burning when we arrived?" Boy how time flies, especially when you're having a good time.

On my last day in Africa I color timed the trailer, which Ryan, an editor friend down in Cape Town, cut for Thabo. He did a fantastic job on it and we are ever grateful. Hopefully we'll be able to post something up soon. It's still in DVCam format. My first assistant camera Nick was kind enough to give me a ride to our amazing telecine house, Pudding, all the way from Benoni. Thanks Nick--you're the best!

Trying to get back onto USA West Coast time, but I keep on waking up at 3 AM, so feel free to IM or email me please. I'm dying here. It's so HUMID here, but I guess that's all relative.

Missing South Africa and all my friends,
Q

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home