Quyen in Joburg

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

In the Thick of It

Hey Sam and Lillian (and all my loyal blogger fans)--sorry I haven't written in so long, but things have been quite HECTIC here. (Everything is hectic around here, not crazy, not insane, not rad, but HECTIC.) Anyway, we are in the middle of production, and now we're on a night schedule now, so I'm a tad bit exhausted from having a 50kg camera on my shoulder while trying to operate on no sleep (since the birds are chirping when we get home). BUT, things are going extremely well and Thabo's doing a fantastic job with his actors. The lead actor is quite a charmer, and a brilliant actor as well. Never mind that he is extremely handsome as well, but I do fall in love with him every time I look through the eyepiece, so long as I can see. It's quite chilly at night so the eyepiece tends to fog up :)

So much has happened in the last week and half since I last wrote you, bloggie. Here's a quick rundown:

DAVID KAU--a f-cking brilliant comedian. Phil was doing security so we hung out in the green room afterwards with him and I think I told him he should call me when he's in LA later on this year. Oops. I was SLIGHTLY wasted. I had the following drinks:

3 glasses of red wine
3 shots of absynthe
double vodka tonic
glass of amarula (it's like kahlua but without the coffee flavor)

McDONALD'S--We paid at one window and I swear the cashier walked parallel to our car, picked up our order, and delivered the goods 2 windows down. Thabo asked, "Do you have a twin?" Normally service takes FOREVER here and things are ALWAYS screwed up. Even the day before it had taken 20 min at McD's, but I guess you had to be there...and don't ask why we were even eating there in the first place. (The boyz wanted their morning cheeseburgers.) Yum.

COFFEE--Even though I don't drink Starbucks at home, it seems a lot of people here drink instant coffee. I bought a latte at a shop the other day and it took 10 minutes.

ASIAN COUNT--is now up to 16. The other night at dinner we scored with a table full of 4 Asians and 2 whities. Also at that dinner, it took us an hour to pay our bill, plus we got the server fired because he was trying to swindle us. He said, "You have to pay the tab on credit, but just pay for the alcohol with cash." Whaaat? So then we called the manager over and he thanked us for telling him that the server was stealing from his company. Then we totally booked it out of there in our sweet BMW production car (which is also the prop car) because Thabo was afraid he was going to kill us, seriously. The African themed decor reminded me of a Rainforest Cafe or Disneyland, but the food was actually divine, even if the server was the dodgiest fellow I'd ever met in such a fine establishment.

POOR SOUL--We drove by a dead body on the highway. It was the second one we've seen--it had JUST happened as we were driving by. Sad.

I can't think of anything else right now because my head is in a funny space (I feel jetlagged all over again) but I will try to write again soon when I can recall the events of these past couple weeks.

Cheers,
Q

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mrs. TheCutter--How'd you figure out that guy was running a scam on the drinks? Maybe something you heard about once at Bennigan's?

11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home